Opportunities with DPA
Mahi Tika – Equity in Employment
Fixed Term to June 2023
The Disabled Persons Assembly (DPA) New Zealand is Aotearoa’s membership-based pan-impairment Disabled People’s Organisation (DPO). Our governance and staff members are predominantly disabled people based around the country. We have a vision of a society which provides both equity and maximum opportunity to participate for all people. Our work includes working with different communities and giving advice to local and national government. We work within a human rights framework, honour Te Tiriti o Waitangi and uphold the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD).
Mahi Tika – Equity in Employment is a disabled-led employment programme developed by DPA, running in the Waikato region. The reason for these positions being fixed term is due to specific funding agreements for the programme delivery.
In general, we are keen to hear from people who have relevant skills and experience for each position as well as:
- Knowledge of the disabled community at local, regional, national levels;
- Understanding of and commitment to a disability rights approach;
- Knowledge and understanding of the UNCRPD, NZ Disability Strategy, Enabling Good Lives principles and Te Tiriti o Waitangi;
- Have excellent organisational, interpersonal and communication skills;
- Identify as disabled;
- Are based in the Waikato region.
Kaitiaki | Enhancer (up to 20h per week)
Kaitiaki will mentor programme participants by identifying their individual competencies and capabilities and enhance their journey into meaningful and sustainable employment and perform various tasks including:
- Facilitating workshops;
- Providing one-on-one mentoring;
- Supporting programme participants to develop job seeking skills;
- Supporting programme participants to develop their individual goals in relation to their employment journey;
- Providing a flexible and individualised approach to their employment journey;
- Providing monthly reports;
Kaitiaki Mahi | Employment Enhancer (20 hours per week)
The Kaitiaki Mahi will be the principal relationship builder for the Mahi Tika – Equity in Employment Waikato programme, performing various tasks including:
- Build and maintain relationships with disabled people, employers and other organisations;
- Identify potential opportunities for programme growth;
- Work with the Kaiwhakahaere Kaupapa and Manaaki to develop strategies designed to represent our values;
- Meet with potential employers to promote inclusive workplaces;
- Facilitate networking events for programme participants and potential employers;
- Administrative tasks related to relationship building;
We are flexible with the number of hours you can work, with the possibility of job sharing. The successful candidate will be working from home.
DPA is an organisation committed to the employment of disabled people. We encourage applications from people who also identify as Māori, Pacifica, former refugee, migrant, and rainbow.
For a job description or to apply for this role, please contact our Chief Executive Prudence Walker by email HR@dpa.org.nz.
Your application should include a cover letter and a CV. Please include which role you're applying for. DPA are committed to making our application process accessible to everyone so if you require an alternative method of application, please let us know.