The Local elections are about to begin around the country. This is an opportunity to vote in candidates that represent your values and interests.
In the run up to the local elections various forums and Meet the Candidates meetings are held so that you can hear directly from the candidates and ask questions.
DPA Regional Policy Advisor Chris Ford has put together some ideas of questions you could ask at these meetings:
City and District Council Candidates / Mayoral Candidates:
1. What would you do if elected to make our community responsive, fully accessible and inclusive for all disabled people and this includes for people with all impairments?
2. How will you commit to upholding the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD)?
3. To candidates standing again: What things have you done in your time on the Council that has benefited disabled people?
4. To mayoral candidates who are currently councillors or standing again: What things have you done in your time as a councillor / as our mayor, that has benefited disabled people?
Questions for Regional Council Candidates
1. How will you commit to upholding the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD)?
2. Disabled people have identified that one of the key issues for Regional Councils to resolve around the country (including that of this region’s) is accessibility to public transport. If elected to Council, how would you seek to address this issue?
3. Climate change is well recognised as having greater impact on disabled people. In many parts of the country, considerable numbers of disabled people (particularly those with mobility impairments) tend to live in flat, low-lying areas of local communities (i.e., insert local example) which are more prone to flooding events. How would you work to mitigate the impact of climate change on marginalised communities such as disabled and older people?
4. To candidates standing again: What things have you done in your time on the Council that has benefited disabled people?