Civil Defence updates

National: See the NZ Civil Defence website . Keep up to date by listening to your local radio station if you can. If your power is out, and you can access your car safely, use your car radio. AM frequency stations tends to have better nationwide coverage to our isolated communities.

Radio New Zealand are posting live updates to Updates: What residents in Tairāwhiti, Coromandel and Hawke's Bay need to know. The text-only page has no images or embedded content to make it more accessible in areas of limited reception.

Auckland: Auckland Emergency Management website and on the Auckland Emergency Management Facebook page.

Coromandel: Thames-Coromandel District Council and on the Thames-Coromandel District Council Facebook page.

Northland: Northland Civil Defence Facebook

Tairāwhiti: Gisborne District Council website and Tairāwhiti Civil Defence Facebook page

Bay of Plenty: Bay of Plenty Civil Defence Facebook page

Waikato: Waikato Regional Emergency Management website

Hawkes Bay: HB Civil Defence Emergency Management Group Facebook page

Who to contact for help

If you are in danger - contact emergency services - call 111. If you are registered you can do this via the 111 text line.

If you depend on power for medical equipment, life support, or medicine and are affected by a power outage: 1. Contact your power company and let them know;  2. Contact your local civil defence centre for support; 3. If you are in danger, please contact emergency services immediately - call/text 111.

Deaf and disabled people and whānau can contact Whakarongorau Aotearoa, New Zealand Telehealth Services for support and information - Text 8988 or 0800 111 213.

If you are concerned for someone's safety or need to let people know you are safe let NZ Police know. If you have concerns about a person you believe could be at risk - fill in the person inquired for form.  To register that you are safe and well - fill in this registering I'm alive form.

To report missing people, or to check-in and report your safety, you can also call 105.

If you need help in Auckland - for urgent flooding issues and assistance you should first contact Auckland Emergency Management at or phone 0800 22 22 00.

If you need help in Whangarei - for information, assistance or to report urgent cyclone-related issues 0800 932 463

If you need help in the Far North - for information, assistance or to report urgent cyclone-related issues 0800 920 029

If you need help in Kaipara: If you require welfare assistance due to Cyclone Gabrielle please contact 09 439 1111. To report damage to roads or log other service requests please phone 0800 727 059.

Support Available

-If you are accessing disability support services and need extra support, in first instance contact your provider. You can also contact Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People at or via 0800 566 601.  

-A Community Support Package includes Dedicated funding for disabled people. This includes dedicated funding to support disabled people, tāngata whaikaha Māori and/or their households to access support for immediate and unexpected needs. See - Support for disabled people - Community Support Package

The funding recognises that some disabled people will have additional costs that non-disabled people can avoid. E.g. a person with a physical impairment may need to pay for a cleaner or moving company; they may need repairs to damaged housing modifications or equipment; they may need funding to enable their disabled child(ren) to access additional out of home support during this time.

Disabled people do not need to be receiving Disability Support Service funding from Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People or from another Government agency to apply for this support.

-For urgent disability equipment repairs or if you had to evacuate and need equipment:

- Taikura Trust can also support you to access hospital beds if you're staying at a Civil Defence Centre or if your medical bed was damaged due to floods. Call 0800 824 5872

-There is potential support available through the Lottery Individuals with Disabilities Fund seeking urgent replacement of mobility equipment damaged or lost in the recent flood events. See Lottery Individuals with Disabilities or email or phone 0800 824 824

-For welfare support, please contact Work and Income. Call on 0800 400 100,

-Civil Defence payments are available for people affected by Cyclone Gabrielle. These are for if have had to leave your home (e.g. you've been evacuated or you're on stand-by); you were away from your home at the time of the emergency and can't return; you need help with food, bedding or clothing; or you can't go to work. See Civil Defence Payment. (Note - You don't have to be on a benefit to qualify for a Civil Defence payment. Non-residents may be eligible for this payment. In most cases it doesn't matter what your income is or what assets you have.)

-Financial assistance is also available through the Auckland Council Emergency Relief Fund. The fund is for people who need urgent financial assistance and is in addition to other support that people may qualify for through MSD. Applications can be made online and people can call Auckland Council on 09 301 0101 during business hours for assistance to complete applications forms.

-If your rental has been damaged during the floods, Renters United have put together some advice about your tenancy rights - Renters United tenancy advice

-If your the home you own, car, or contents have been damaged by the severe weather see information on insurance claims and what to do if you are uninsured.

-Talklink Trust can be contacted directly by clients if any AAC devices have been lost or damaged and need to be replaced.

-For information about water, wastewater and where water tankers are located in Auckland visit Watercare.

-If you are concerned about your home or building and would like to request a Auckland building assessment, please call 0800 22 22 00.

-Ngāi Tahu whānui members who have been directly affected in Auckland and Waitomo (and in some other areas on a case by case basis) may be able to apply for assistance through the Pūtea Manaaki Emergency Relief Fund.

Auckland Civil Defence Centres, Shelters and Community Support Hubs

For a list of centres and shelters, the services they provide, and their accessibility see: Auckland Emergency Management Civil Defence Centres and Shelters.

Auckland grassroots supports

We've taken most of these initially from Chlöe Swarbrick's posts which she has put together with a team of volunteers:

City Wide


  • Wesley Primary School for emergency housing and food distribution. If you need them: Turn up to 24 Potter Avenue, Mount Roskill.If you can help: Donate non-perishable food, hygiene products, pillows and blankets, cleaning supplies, gloves or donate directly via 38-9020-0719144-05. Contact Tili from GHM if you wish to donate on 0272573940 or want to help onsite.
  • Kindness Collective Foundation for pantry staples and community networks. If you need them: 5/4 Rocklands Avenue, Mount Eden. Open between 8am-4pm for drop-offs and drop-ins.If you want to help: Donate grocery staples such as cans, packets, tea, coffee, milo, toiletries, UHT milk.
  • Koha Apparel for clean, quality clothing and footwear. If you need them: They'll be in the warehouse (Unit 1, 955 New North Road, Mount Albert) on Monday morning, or via
  • Lifewise Merge Cafe at 453 Karangahape Road for free kai 7am-2pm Monday-Friday.If you want to help: Donate via


  • Buttabean Motivation hq for foodboxes, blankets and towels at 30 Hobill Ave, Wiri (we understand the West location is presently closed). If you need them: Email for a food parcel via If you want to help: Donate kai, blankets, etc or direct financial support via
  • Manukau Urban Māori Authority food bank, open Monday 9am-3pm at 31 Calthorp Close, Favona.If you can help: Donation needs are mops, buckets, towels, cleaning products, clothing and bedding - you can call 0800 686 232 to check in.
  • Mangere Bridge Scout Hall for food, parcels, beds, shelter, clothes. If you need them: 29 Taylor Rd, Mangere Bridge, 9am-5pm.If you can help: Donate (especially toiletries) via Stacy (021 022 07632) or Latoya (021 264 2473).
  • Gourmet Graze Papakura for help with food essentials, nappies and drop-offs. If you need them: Call Duaa on 021 022 06032If you can help: Donate 01-0221-0749218-00, DRNK Enterprises NZ
  • Cook Islands Development Agency NZ (CIDANZ) for food parcels and bedding as donations allow, in Mangere.If you need them or want to help: Call Anthony 027 303 1832.
  • Etu Pasifika for advocacy, health advice and support for Pasifika families. Call 0800 ETURERE (0800 388 7373).



  • Ruapōtaka Marae for accommodation support, food parcels, clothing, open Monday 9am-8pm at 106 Line Road, Glen Innes.If you want to help: 0800 276 8252 for coordinating donations.

Renters United Tenancy Advice

This advice from Renters United has been copy / pasted from the Renters United Facebook page:

We are reaching out with some information for renters in Tāmaki Makaurau and surrounding areas affected by flooding. We hope you, your friends and whanau are safe.We know there will be many renters out there whose rentals have been damaged during the floods. Here are a few bits of advice around your rights as a tenant:

  • If your rental is so seriously damaged it is uninhabitable, you do not have to pay future rent. In addition, you can give your landlord two days notice to terminate the tenancy. It is also worth noting that your landlord or property manager is also able to give 7 days notice to terminate your tenancy in this case
  • If your rental is partially uninhabitable, or part of the rental is so seriously damaged it is uninhabitable, your rent must be reduced accordingly. The amount your rent should be reduced is not clear in the legislation and will need to be negotiated with your landlord or property manager. You can reach out to the tenancy tribunal if you believe the rent reduction is not reasonable. Either you or your landlord/property manager may also apply to the tenancy tribunal to terminate the tenancy. The tribunal will decide whether it is unreasonable to require you to continue with the tenancy.See the relevant section of the RTA in the comments below.
  • If your rental is damaged, you are also required to notify your landlord or property manager of the damage, even if the advice above does not apply.
  • For advice on staying well and cleaning up after flooding, see advice from Auckland Council and Auckland Regional Public Health (see the links in comments). We recommend having a conversation with your landlord/property manager to discuss the habitability of your home and decide what is reasonable for each party to clean up.
  • For further information about your renting situation, you can visit We have a list of agencies that can provide more information, advocacy and advice.

Information on insurance claims and what to do if you are uninsured

If you are insured:

If your home, car, or contents have been damaged by the severe weather, take photos before you remove or repair anything and report it to your insurance company as soon as possible. You only need to contact your insurance company and they’ll let you know what you need to do next, how to claim and – if applicable – how EQ Cover from Toka Tū Ake EQC works.

If you need to make your home safe, sanitary, secure, and weather tight, please record the work done, take before and after photos, and keep copies of the bills you paid.

New Zealand Claims Resolution Service

The New Zealand Claims Resolution Service (NZCRS) has been launched to provide expert support to homeowners with insurance claims after natural disasters to avoid disputes, resolve issues, and ensure claims are settled in a timely manner.

Homeowners who are impacted by the January floods and Cyclone Gabrielle are advised to talk with their insurer in the first instance. If they have concerns about their claim or are unsure about the process, they can contact NZCRS on 0508 624 327, email, or visit

Toka Tū Ake EQC:

Most claims will be covered by private insurance and EQCover will only be applicable for: damage to house and land from a landslide, or removal of flood debris such as silt and fallen trees. Your private insurance company should manage any EQCover on your behalf - so you should only need to deal with your insurance company.

EQC have provided some information sheets about EQCover:

If you uninsured, or partially insured:

If you are an uninsured homeowner, contact the EOC Welfare team on 03 543 7290 (After hours 03 546 0200).

If you don't have house insurance but do have contents insurance, speak to your insurer about what is covered. Make sure you take lots of photos and keep good records before you throw anything out, where possible.